3 Day Seminar:
- Length: 4.5 Hours total
- Dates: February 4th, 5th & 6th, 2014
- Time: 10:00 - 11:30 AM PST, each day
UX Design for Mobile: Interaction Design, UI Design, Mobile interfaces, Designing Mobile interfaces
UX Design for Mobile
In 2013, mobile device purchases surpassed desktop computers. This puts everyone in the mobile game. How do you design for mobile? What is a proven approach to developing mobile websites and apps?
UX experts agree: Mobile interface design can be greatly facilitated by taking a User-centered and Task-oriented design approach. Why? Mobile usage is driven by context of use and task-orientation. For example, comprehension is 50% less on a mobile device (Singh 2012). This means that content, navigation and visual design elements must be twice as intuitive as they are on Desktop!
In this class you will learn the three steps to mobile UX design: Fit to the task, Fit to the UI style guide and Proof your design. We will discuss “m dot” sites vs. Responsive Web Design. In addition we will review mobile app patterns for best practice you can apply to your design. We will learn Mobile UX design principles and considerations for how to apply a mobile pattern to your design that makes sense. Finally you will learn how to evaluate your design with a Mobile UX Scorecard to insure that it is VIP friendly (Visual, Interruptible, Playful).
Module 1– Mobile UX Overview
- Why Mobile User Experience?
- Design considerations and constraints
- 5 Mobile UX Best Practices
- Responsive vs M Dot sites
- Adaptive Design
Module 2– Fit the Task
- Consider the Persona
- Mental models
- Conducting a content audit
- Promote the core value proposition
- Planning with Use Cases, User Stories and Scenarios
- Consider the Task Environment
- Design with Task Oriented Design
- Consider the context/ mindset
Module 3– Fit the UI Style Guide
- Consider the Mobile App pattern (layout)
- Mobile First; Task First ; Content First
- Consider the platform
- Mobile UX Checklist
- Consider the right UI for the task
- Social UX considerations
Module 4– Proofing Your Design
- Conducting a design review
- Designing for the VIP (Visual, Interruptible, Playful)
- Mobile User Testing
- USE Scorecard for assessing Context, Error, Intuitiveness
What You Get:
- Unlimited Archive Access
- PDF Notes (PPT)
- Access to Trainer with any questions
By the end of this UX training you will:
- Learn to design mobile interfaces using mobile usability best practices.
- Plan your mobile user experience using personas and tasks.
- Understand how UI choices differ between platforms.
- Be able to evaluate your mobile design to avoid poor mobile UX.
- Be armed with mobile UX design strategy tips and techniques.
Frank Spillers, MS (Chief Experience Officer)
Frank Spillers is a distinguished speaker, author and internationally respected Senior UX practitioner and UX Master Trainer. He is a world expert in improving the design and user experience of enterprise sites, web applications, desktop, VR/AR and mobile apps. Frank has successfully applied 20 years of advanced knowledge of Usability Engineering skills and User Centered Design methodology in Fortune 500 and corporate environments globally.
A recognized subject matter expert by the U.S. Department of Labor, he has developed new usability techniques for understanding user needs, assessing user experience and conducting rapid design prototyping. Recently, he has contributed ground-breaking research on the impact of design and emotion. His current work has been profiled in leading industry publications including The Handbook of Task Analysis for Human Computer Interaction, MarketingSherpa's Landing Page Handbook and the book-- The Persona Lifecycle.
Before founding Experience Dynamics in 2001, Frank managed usability consulting for WebCriteria (now IBM Analytics) and worked with students of Dr. Donald Norman (the grandfather of User Centered Design) at Intuitive Design, a San Diego based User Centered Design consultancy. His current clients include: Microsoft, Intel, IBM, Logitech, GE, Hewlett-Packard, KeyBank, Four Seasons, Chase, Target.com and Whitepages.com. He has trained thousands of teams and individuals in usability and User Centered Design techniques in private as well as public settings.
Frank received his Master's in Cognitive Science (MS) from Birmingham University, UK in the user experience of VR with an emphasis on collaborative virtual environments.
Who’s Attending our Training?
Blue Cross Blue Shield
Capital Group Companies
Providence Health System
Research In Motion
State Farm Insurance
State of Michigan
State of New York
We want you to be completely satisfied with our trainings and to be rewarded by each investment you make with us. Your satisfaction is ensured with our 365 day money back guarantee. If you are not completely happy with a training you purchase, you have the privilege of qualifying for a full refund, credit or replacement of the initial amount for a period of 365 days after the date of purchase.