User Experience Design for XR (VR/AR)
3D or immersive spaces or spatial UI's change how people think, learn and recall information and content. To understand how to design for this experiential state, you need to understand spatial cognition.
Learning to design for spatial user interfaces requires you balance real-time user interaction with events, UI's, emotional and social dynamics and narrative.
This full-day course builds on research-based approaches to designing for XR.
Who's taken this course? 2,500 students to date.
1. Building the Foundation for a Strong 3D UX
- Creating the right context up front- the Business, User and 3D Story map (Template).
- Designing First Impressions: 6 Keys (Matrix worksheet)
- Maintaining user engagement in spatial navigation
- Narrative mechanics: developing your story flow (Story Arc for XR worksheet)
- Designing for diverse personas
2. 3D Interaction Design
- Scene design for Augmented vs Virtual Environments
- Defining your 3D Personas
- Designing for spatial interaction (augmented vs virtual)
- Designing for user Agency
- Honoring VR best practices: Checklist of key lessons from 25 years of 3D UX
- Navigation: Augmented vs Virtual Environments
3. XR Essentials for Emotion-rich User Experience
- XR principles of User Engagement
- Emotion mechanics: designing for mood-rich interaction
- Sustaining moods and emotional engagement
- Defining emotional states and outcomes
- Social interaction design for immersive user engagement
- Story beat tips and tricks
- Game mechanics: applying gamification to any experience
4. Researching and Validating your spatial User Experience
- User research- developing 3D personas
- Working with 3D personas with immersive content
- User testing your Immersive Experience (Agile Test Template)
- Evaluating your 3D UX (Scorecard)
- Diversity testing: is your environment/ immersive content inclusive and accessible?
Frank Spillers, MS (CEO, Founder & CXO)
Frank Spillers is a distinguished speaker, author and internationally respected Senior UX practitioner and UX Master Trainer. He is a world expert in improving the design and user experience of enterprise sites, web applications, desktop, VR/AR and mobile apps. Frank has successfully applied 20 years of advanced knowledge of Usability Engineering skills and Human-Centered Design methodology in Fortune 500 and corporate environments globally.
A recognized subject matter expert by the U.S. Department of Labor, he has developed new usability techniques for understanding user needs, assessing user experience, and conducting rapid design prototyping. Recently, he has contributed ground-breaking research on the impact of design and emotion. His current work has been profiled in leading industry publications including The Handbook of Task Analysis for Human-Computer Interaction, MarketingSherpa's Landing Page Handbook, and the book-- The Persona Lifecycle.
Before founding Experience Dynamics in 2001, Frank managed usability consulting for WebCriteria (now IBM Analytics) and worked with students of Dr. Donald Norman (the grandfather of Human-Centered Design) at Intuitive Design, a San Diego based User-Centered Design consultancy. His current clients include Microsoft, Intel, IBM, Logitech, GE, Hewlett-Packard, KeyBank, Four Seasons, Chase, Target.com, and Whitepages.com. He has trained over 70,000 UX designers globally and continues to teach through his mentoring group: www.uxinnercircle.com
Frank received his Master's in Cognitive Science (MS) from Birmingham University, UK in the user experience of virtual reality with an emphasis on collaborative virtual environments.
Who’s Attending our Training?
Blue Cross Blue Shield
Capital Group Companies
Providence Health System
Research In Motion
State Farm Insurance
State of Michigan
State of New York
We want you to be completely satisfied with our trainings and to be rewarded by each investment you make with us. Your satisfaction is ensured with our 365 day money back guarantee. If you are not completely happy with a training you purchase, you have the privilege of qualifying for a full refund, credit or replacement of the initial amount for a period of 365 days after the date of purchase.