Introduction/Goals of the class:
Accessibility embraces the spirit of universal access to Web and Mobile content for all. Optimizing your design for accessibility helps you stay compliant while optimizing your code for Assistive Technology access. In this course we will teach you practical ways to understand and optimize for accessibility for both Web and Mobile guidelines and legal requirements.
We will go beyond the common traps of relying on checker tools or following industry standard guidelines (Section 508/ WCAG). This course will show you how to think about accessibility problems, how to practical fix your code and how to ensure you are offering a quality user experience for users with disabilities.
Recent participants comments:
"Prepare to view the web from a whole new and different perspective!" -Abercrombie+Fitch
"Very engaging speaker, keeps you interested...and very informative" -Hollister
Agenda/ Topics covered in this training:
- 10 Principles of Accessibility for Web and Mobile design.
- How accessibility impacts usability.
- Experiencing accessibility issues with each Disability type.
- Using automated tools: Pros and Cons.
- Following the Guidelines: Pros and Cons.
- Getting compliant: Section 508 issues and lessons (16 years on).
- How to use WCAG 2.0 guidelines: theory vs practice.
- Identifying your Compliance requirements: A, AA, AAA.
- Designing Accessible Navigation: strategies and tactics.
- Approaching Inclusive Design: HTML issues and accessible patterns.
- Accessibility basics: how to handle images, forms, frames, tables, search, 3rd party content, Keyboard, focus control and contrast issues.
- Advanced Accessibility (coding CSS, XML/XSL, Java script, HTML5, ARIA)- issues and opportunities.
- Web site vs Web application accessibility issues and tips.
- Mobile Accessibility issues and tips. (Includes new Mobile Accessibility Legislation work-arounds).
- Handling dynamic content: Infographics, Animations, Visually dense images, SVG, Audio descriptions and sounds, CAPTCHA, Video, Multimedia, Live events.
- Document accessibility (Word, PDF, PPT; Pages, Keynote).
- Plain English and copywriting tips for inclusive design.
- Assistive Technologies: test tools.
- Evaluating your Accessibility: A proven triangulated approach.
- Accessibility testing: how to conduct access testing.
- Tips for recruiting users; moderating tests; assessing and taking action on feedback.
- Quality of Accessible experience: how far should you go?
- Evaluating your Accessibility level: feeling confident with your accessibility optimization.
Delivery options: Online or Live (on site) private training.
Previous knowledge: None required other than a basic familiarity with HTML terms and concepts.
Who will benefit from this course: Open to anyone involved in content creation and optimization (Content creators, Web and Mobile Developers, Designers, UX teams, QA teams, Product managers).
In-house training/ rich learning content: Customized to your industry, platform and design challenges to help you maximize relevancy and retention of material. The course will include an accessibility test with person(s) with disabilities (live or pre-recorded).
Frank Spillers, MS (CEO, Founder & CXO)
Frank Spillers is a distinguished speaker, author and internationally respected Senior UX practitioner and UX Master Trainer. He is a world expert in improving the design and user experience of enterprise sites, web applications, desktop, VR/AR and mobile apps. Frank has successfully applied 20 years of advanced knowledge of Usability Engineering skills and Human-Centered Design methodology in Fortune 500 and corporate environments globally.
A recognized subject matter expert by the U.S. Department of Labor, he has developed new usability techniques for understanding user needs, assessing user experience, and conducting rapid design prototyping. Recently, he has contributed ground-breaking research on the impact of design and emotion. His current work has been profiled in leading industry publications including The Handbook of Task Analysis for Human-Computer Interaction, MarketingSherpa's Landing Page Handbook, and the book-- The Persona Lifecycle.
Before founding Experience Dynamics in 2001, Frank managed usability consulting for WebCriteria (now IBM Analytics) and worked with students of Dr. Donald Norman (the grandfather of Human-Centered Design) at Intuitive Design, a San Diego based User-Centered Design consultancy. His current clients include Microsoft, Intel, IBM, Logitech, GE, Hewlett-Packard, KeyBank, Four Seasons, Chase, Target.com, and Whitepages.com. He has trained over 70,000 UX designers globally and continues to teach through his mentoring group: www.uxinnercircle.com
Frank received his Master's in Cognitive Science (MS) from Birmingham University, UK in the user experience of virtual reality with an emphasis on collaborative virtual environments.
Who’s Attending our Training?
Blue Cross Blue Shield
Capital Group Companies
Providence Health System
Research In Motion
State Farm Insurance
State of Michigan
State of New York
We want you to be completely satisfied with our trainings and to be rewarded by each investment you make with us. Your satisfaction is ensured with our 365 day money back guarantee. If you are not completely happy with a training you purchase, you have the privilege of qualifying for a full refund, credit or replacement of the initial amount for a period of 365 days after the date of purchase.