Information Architecture/ UI Design
We can help you improve or redesign your product
Information Architecture (IA), User Interface Design or GUI prounounced "goo-ey" (Graphical User Interface design) involve screen layout and design that focus on user interactions (aka Interaction Design), flow and screen behaviors. See our blog article "What is Design? Yes all 10 definitions" User Interface (UI) design is an important component of achieving a user-centered and task-oriented design. Your user experience is only as good as your ability to support user interaction.
The focus of Information Architecture is to map out the underlying structure and screen behaviors that make up user interaction, flow, navigation.
User expectations, goals and tasks are discovered and represented in the design based on best known methods in IA/ user interface design.Our in-depth experience with Interaction Design involves applying UI style guide design techniques that are appropriate to your audience (personas), their workflow, issues and needs. True to a User Centered Design process, we derive design requirements from field studies.
- Gain user validation from design requirements that come directly from end users
- Translate usability problems into actionable solutions that make sense to your business needs.
- Design a superior web usability user experience best suited to your websites or web applications.
- Discover the best layout, navigation, sequence and display of information or functionality.
- Improve ROI of your design (See Forrester Research on Usability and ROI)
- Start seeing the "forest from the trees" by having a fully focused user advocate recommending solutions to issues based on professional user interface guidelines (read our blog article on how blinded you are by your own design)
Design options for improving Usability of Web portals, Websites and Web applications:
1. Design Recommendations
All our deliverable come with design recommendations (yes, you read that correctly). Why don't all usability consultants provide design recommendations with their usability research? The main reason is that many practitioners believe that research and design are two separate things. We don't. Fundamentally, the whole point of usability testing, fields studies (contextual interviews, personas, task analysis) is to inform and guide the design (toward a user-centered or task-oriented outcome).
- Design recommendations come with Expert Reviews; Personas/ field studies; usability testing; competitive usability reviews.
- Design recommendations can involve 1-150 screens. 10-50 day turn around.
2. Collaborative Re-design
Redesigning your web application, website or product? We'll design the product with you. With our Usability Training, we will teach you the skills and techniques you will need. In addition we will be there to support you and your team. The end result? A User Interface blueprint that details best practices in your new or improved user experience.
How it works? We train your team in usability best practices and methods. Next, we will conduct the usability research in conjunction with your team (hands-on training). Finally we will lead the redesign of your product and mentor your team in skill-transfer. Our experience with various Fortune 500 clients has shown this approach to provide the highest ROI (Return on Investment).With a new design concept in hand, we will prepare a low-fidelity prototype for usability testing with your end users.
- Information Architecture/ User Interface Design recommendations that are research based (validated by your users in usability testing);
- UI Design specification that is based on user requirements (personas, task flows and real-world needs elicited from user interviewing).
Interested in having your site reviewed by an expert panel of usability experts? Check out our User Interface Special Interest Group. Membership is open and the meetings are educational and conducted online by usability experts from various companies and organizations. Read more>>
About Experience Dynamics
Experience Dynamics is a usability consulting firm providing global design research services. The company's User-Centered Design methodology and usability consulting services are used by Fortune 500 companies in enterprise, institutional and consumer facing products, software and Web environments. Since 2001, Experience Dynamics has delivered professional usability consulting solutions including usability testing, ethnographic user studies, usability reviews, usability surveys, usability training and user interface design services. In addition, the company hosts a community-based free online usability review service at www.PortlandUsability.com and rents and sells portable usability testing labs at www.UsabilityLabRental.com.
Clients benefiting from Experience Dynamics usability consulting services include Logitech, Intel, Verizon, Target, Wells Fargo, IBM, Key Bank, Hewlett-Packard, WhitePages.com, Land Rover, Providence Health System, Washington Mutual, Garage Games, Four Seasons, Microsoft and more.
Read company founder Frank Spillers, MS blog 'Demystifying Usability': www.demystifyingusability.com.